4-H Camp Hervida needs your help to fund a cabin replacement project. Cabin #8 was closed in 2019 due to an unstable foundation, sloping floor and mold caused by excessive moisture. The plan is to build a new 20' X 24' cabin on the same location. The new cabin will include a ramp for handicap accessibility.
As a result of COVID-19 and restrictions that have been put in place, Ohio 4-H has made the very difficult decision to cancel 4-H camps through August 31st. Other spring/summer camps traditionally held at Camp Hervida have also been canceled. While we are saddened by this news, we fully support the decision to keep our youth safe because the health of our campers, staff and volunteers are our highest priority. However, the income generated from these camps would have been used to begin the funding process to replace Cabin #8.
Founded in 1922, Hervida 4-H Camp, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) youth organization consisting of 200-acres with a seasonal camping facility. The camp is located near Waterford in Washington County, Ohio. Hervida’s mission is to develop an appreciation of outdoor residential camping for the recreational, social and educational development of youth and adults.
The camp is used by youth and adults from southeastern Ohio and northwestern West Virginia who are involved in 4-H functions (camps, meetings and fundraisers), Washington & Morgan County Ohio State University Extension programs, church camps/groups, school organizations, outdoor education camps, community youth/adult programs and family reunions. The camp averages over 6,000 visitors annually.
Hervida is a 98-year old residential camp and is named in honor of John Hervey, the agricultural Extension agent who established the camping program, and his wife, Ida, who served as camp staff. In the early years, the land was leased and only 4-H Youth Development offered camping programs. Camps for adults began in the late 1920's when Ohio State Extension developed residential, educational programs for men and women. In 1940, the land was purchased and the Camp was incorporated. Since 1949, the Camp has been open to community groups, schools, organizations and businesses for rent.